Camping with the family is a great way to spend time with your family and friends, great locations, sleeping in nature and kids love adventure. Take your family camping experience to the next level with the right gear. Some of the most important camping kit for any camping trip is a camping kitchen.
A good portable camp kitchen really comes into its own when you go camping for a long weekend or a couple of weeks and you are self catering. A camping kitchen can provide you with a work surface to prepare and cook meals (a portable, foldable, adjustable kitchen unit), as well as store food and utensils. Knowing that you have a practical space to relax and cook a meal after a long day of exploring, makes the difference. Trust me, I have spent many nights sitting on the grass with a single propane stove, fighting the wind, whilst attempting to chop veg on the grass, and juggle boiling pasta etc with no camping kitchen gadgets. It is hard work and stressful.
There are many different items that you can purchase to build the perfect, practical camping kitchens, so you can choose kit that fits your needs and budget. Some camp kitchens are small and lightweight, while others are larger and more elaborate.
- Read our Full Family Camping Gear Guide UK
Why Camping Kitchen is a good Idea for Family Camping in the UK
No matter what type of camping kitchen you choose, it will make your camping trip more enjoyable. Here are a few reasons why a trip needs a camping kitchen:
- Convenience. A camping kitchen can provide you with a convenient place to prepare and cook meals. This can be especially helpful if you are camping in a remote location where there are no restaurants and when cooking for more than one. You won’t have to rely on fast food or pre-packaged meals, and you can cook your own meals whenever you want.
- Safety. A camping kitchen can help you to avoid trip hazards, clutter etc. When you cook your family meals, you can be sure that the space is still safe for the kids to move around.
- Organisation. Two adults and three children need a lot of kitchen kit, having storage solutions and places to put things makes camping so much more manageable. You won’t have to worry about losing or misplacing items, as everything will be in one place. You can also pack your food and ingredients in your camping kitchen, making it easier to transport and store.
- Comfort. A camping kitchen can provide you with a place to relax and cook a meal after a long day of exploring. This can be especially helpful if you are camping with young children.
- Cost Saving. Eating out while camping can quickly add up, especially if you have a large family. A camping kitchen can help you save money on food expenses, as you’ll be able to prepare your own meals. You can also buy food in bulk, which can save you even more money.
- Health. When you have a camping kitchen, you have control over what you eat. You can choose fresh, healthy ingredients and avoid the unhealthy options that are often found in fast food restaurants or in instant meals. This can help you and your family stay healthy while on your camping trip.
Camp Kitchen Solution
Here are some of the solutions camping storage, camping tables, camping chairs, etc solves:
- Camping storage. A camping kitchen can provide you with a cupboard or two (storage compartments), a great place to store food and utensils. This can help to keep your campsite organised and tidy. Look for items that are folding or modular as these are easier to pack and transport.
- Camping tables. A camping kitchen can provide you with a place to prepare, cook and eat meals. Never underestimate a comfortable and stable surface/worktop to cook and eat on. This can be especially helpful for family camping and if you are camping in a remote location where there are no tables. Some campsites do offer communal kitchens.
- Camping chairs. A camping kitchen can provide you with a place to sit down and enjoy a meal. This can be especially helpful if you are camping with young children. Folding camp chairs are lightweight and easy to transport, making them perfect for camping trips.
How to choose the right camping kitchen?
When choosing a camping kitchen, there are a few things you should consider:
- Size. The size of the camping kitchen unit will depend on the size of your tent and the number of people you are camping with. Most larger family tents will have a family or communal area and some will have a built in porch or awning, which is perfect to become a kitchen.
- Weight. Camping kitchens can be lightweight or heavy. If you are hiking to your campsite, you will want to choose a lightweight camping kitchen.
- Features. Some camping kitchens come with features such as a stove, sink, and storage shelves. These features can make your camping trip more convenient.
- Price. Camping kitchens can range in price from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars. Choose a camping kitchen that fits your budget and needs.
Tips for using a camping kitchen
Here are a few tips for using a camping kitchen: #Common #sense
- Clean up after yourself. When you are finished using your camping kitchen, be sure to clean up after yourself. This will help to keep your campsite clean and tidy and potential vermin away. UK has its fair share of scavengers.
- Be careful with fire. When you are using a stove, be sure to be careful with fire. Never leave a stove unattended and always cook outdoors where possible, and keep your stove/flame away from the fabric of the tent!
- Respect the environment. When you are camping, be sure to respect the environment. Leave no trace of your presence and pack out all of your rubbish and take it with you.
kitchen equipment list for a family camping trip (portable camp kitchen unit, stoves etc)
When it comes to family camping trips in the UK, having a well-equipped camping kitchen can make all the difference. Here is a list of kitchen equipment a family camping trip in the UK would need: Choose the kit that fits your needs and budget.
- Camping Stove. A stove is essential for cooking food while camping. There are many different types of stoves available. Some popular options include gas stoves, propane stoves, wood stoves and even electric hot plates powered by a portable power station.
- Portable Grill – If you’re planning on cooking meat or vegetables on your trip, a portable grill is a good idea. Look for lightweight and compact models that can be easily transported.
- Camp BBQ. Nothing better than the great outdoors and a BBQ, just be sure to keep it away from your tent and to dispose of it responsibly. Most campsites have signs up indicating what to do with your BBQ waste or specific places for you to BBQ.
- Cooking utensils. You will need various cooking utensils, such as pots, pans, and dishes (Plates, bowls, knives, forks, spoons)- Eating utensils is essential for enjoying your meals while camping. Look for durable and lightweight, camping friendly items that are easy to clean. Be sure to pack enough utensils for everyone in your family.
- Cookware Set. A good cookware set includes pots and pans that are lightweight, durable and stackable. Look for sets that have non-stick coatings for easy cleaning.
- Food. Of course, you will also need to bring food with you on your camping trip. Pack plenty of non-perishable foods, such as canned goods, dried fruits, and granola bars. You may also want to pack some fresh food, such as fruits, vegetables, and meat.
- Cooler. A good cooler is essential for keeping food and drinks cold while camping. Look for a cooler that’s well-insulated and has a sturdy construction.
- Water. It is important to stay hydrated while camping, so be sure to bring plenty of water with you. You can use bottled water, or you can bring a water tank as most UK campsites supply clean drinking water on site. You may still want a filter to purify water from these sources. A water filter can remove impurities from natural water sources, making it safe to drink. Look for lightweight and compact models that are easy to use.
- Camping table. A camping table is a great place to eat meals and do other activities while camping. There are many different types of camping tables available, so choose one that fits your needs and budget.
- Camping chairs. Camping chairs are essential for sitting around the campfire or enjoying a meal outdoors. There are many different types of camping chairs available, so choose one that fits your needs and budget.
- Camping Bin bags. You will need to dispose of your trash while camping, so be sure to pack camping trash bags. There are many different types of trash bags available, so choose one that fits your needs.
- Camping dishwashing kit. You will need to wash your dishes while camping, so be sure to pack your dishwashing kit, collapsible bucket, dishwashing liquid, cloth, scrubber, drying towels.
- Camping light. A camping light is essential for getting around in the dark while camping. There are many different types of camping lights available, so choose one that fits your needs and budget.
- EHU. Electric hook up allows you to plug in to the campsites electricity supply and therefore power the various items in your kitchen. Like kettles, toasters, coffee makers, rice cookers, etc.
- Read our EHU Guide
- Portable Power Station. A portable station allows you to use appliances anywhere and everywhere. It is a large volume power bank and it can charge and supply power to all of your home comforts.
- Read our full Power Station Article and Guide
These are just the basics of what you will need for a camping kitchen. With a little planning, you can easily create a comfortable and convenient kitchen for your family camping trip.
In conclusion, a camping kitchen is essential for any family camping trip in the UK. It provides convenience, cost savings, health benefits, storage, and the necessary items for cooking meals. Camping tables and chairs are also necessary to provide a comfortable surface for eating and cooking. Be sure to pack all the necessary equipment and ingredients for your camping kitchen, and you’ll be able to enjoy delicious, healthy meals while spending time with your family in the great outdoors.