Camping with family is a great way to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and spend quality time together in nature. However, one of the biggest challenges faced during a modern camping trip, is the need for a reliable and portable power source. In today’s digital first world, it’s important to have access to electricity for charging mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops, cameras), lighting, cooking equipment, and various other activities that require power. In this article, we’ll discuss various options for portable power sources that can be used during week away family camping. From solar-powered generators to portable battery packs, we’ll explore the pros and cons of each option and help you choose the best one for your specific camping needs. By the end of this article, you’ll have a better understanding of the importance of having a reliable and portable power source for your family camping adventures, and you’ll be ready to make an informed decision on purchasing the right one for you.
Here are some of the solutions a power station solves:
- No more dead batteries. A power station will keep your devices charged, even if there is no electricity available. This is a great way to avoid the frustration of dead batteries when you’re camping.
- No more noisy generators. A power station is a quiet way to power your devices, unlike a petrol-powered generator. This is a great option for camping in areas where noise is prohibited or unwanted.
- Eco-friendly alternative – No more pollution. Using a portable power station is a more eco-friendly alternative to using a generator. Generators can be noisy and produce harmful emissions, whereas power stations are silent and produce no emissions. You’ll be able to enjoy the great outdoors without harming the environment. This is a great option for camping in areas where pollution is a concern and for those more environmentally conscious families.
Why Having a Portable Power Station is a Good Idea for Family Camping
Family camping can be a challenge to stay connected with your digital world, especially if you’re camping in a remote location.
A portable power station can help you stay connected and powered up even when you are away wild camping. Here are a few reasons why you should consider investing in a portable power station for your next family camping trip:
- Stay connected with friends and family. A portable power station can allow you to charge your phone, tablet, or laptop so you can stay in touch with friends and family while you’re camping. This is especially important if you’re camping in a remote location where there is no electric hook ups. EHU.
- Watch movies or TV shows. A portable power station can also be used to power up a TV or DVD player so you can watch movies or TV shows while you’re camping. This is a great way to relax after a long day of adventure, wild swimming, SUPing, hiking or exploring.
- Listen to music. A portable power station can also be used to power up a portable speaker so you can listen to music while you’re camping. This is a great way to create a relaxing atmosphere while you’re enjoying the outdoors. Just remember that it is a campsite and not everyone wants to listen to Dianna Ross at 3 AM!
- Charge your camera. A portable power station can also be used to charge your camera so you can take photos of your camping trip. This is a great way to capture memories of your time in the outdoors.
- Light up your campsite. A portable power station can also be used to power up a camping lantern or flashlight so you can light up your campsite at night. This is a great way to stay safe and avoid tripping in the dark.
- Power Your Camping Stove: If you’re camping with a portable stove, a power station can come in handy. Some power stations have built-in AC outlets that can power small appliances like a camping stove, hot plates and even ovens! This means you won’t have to rely on a gas canister or open flame to cook your meals.
- Read our Full Camping Kitchen Guide
Run a fan. Camping in the UK can get hot and stuffy, especially during the summer months. A portable power station can power a small fan, keeping you cool and comfortable throughout the night. You’ll be able to sleep better and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day ahead.
Emergency backup power. In the event of a power cut or other emergency, a portable power station can be a lifesaver. You’ll have access to electricity when you need it most, whether it’s to charge your phone or power essential medical equipment.
If you’re looking for a way to stay powered up even when you’re off the grid, a portable power station is a great option. It’s a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of purposes, and it’s sure to make your next camping trip even more enjoyable.
Power Stations vs Power Banks
Power stations and power banks are two different solutions to the same problem: running out of electricity for our devices.
Power banks are small, portable battery packs that can fit in a pocket or bag. They often have USB ports (USB A ports or USB C Ports) that allow you to charge phones, tablets, and other small devices on the go. The advantages of power banks are their size and portability. They are easy to carry around and are perfect for short trips or when you know you’ll need backup power for a smaller device. The cons of power banks are their limited capacity and the fact that they need to be recharged after use.
Power stations are larger, heavier devices that are more like portable generators. They typically have multiple outlets and can power larger devices like laptops, TVs, refrigerators and even hot plates and portable ovens! Power stations have the advantage of being able to power larger devices for longer periods of time. They are great for family camping trips or as emergency backups during power outages. The downside of power stations is their weight, size and the price which makes them less portable than power banks and less accessible. Ultimately, the choice between power banks and power stations depends on your personal needs, priorities and budget.
Choosing the right portable power station for camping
When choosing a portable power station, there are a few things you should consider:
- The size of the power station. The size of the power station will determine how much power it can store and how many devices it can power.
- The type of power station. There are two main types of portable power stations: lithium-ion and lead-acid. Lithium-ion power stations are more efficient and have a longer lifespan, but they are also more expensive. Lead-acid power stations are less expensive, but they are not as efficient and have a shorter lifespan. Go for a lithium one!
- The features of the power station. The standard features of a power station are USB ports, AC outlets (mains power), a display to let you know how much power you’re using and a battery indicator. Some have built in lights and some can be charged via solar power and solar panels. These features can be helpful for charging devices or powering appliances.
Best Portable Power Stations UK for Family Camping
When taking your family camping, it’s essential to have reliable sources of power to keep your electronic devices running smoothly, especially if you have toddlers and or teenagers!! This is where portable power stations come in handy. Luckily, there are several high-capacity power banks and power stations specifically designed for outdoor use that can meet your family’s charging needs. Listed above.
These power banks have multiple charging ports, high-capacity batteries, and durable designs that can withstand harsh outdoor conditions. Whether you need to juice up your smartphones, tablets, or cameras, these power banks can keep your devices running throughout your camping trip. With these portable batteries, you can sit back, relax, and enjoy your time in nature without worrying about your devices running out of battery.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Portable Power Source
- Battery Capacity = Total Wattage
- WH – Watt Hours -If a company says its portable power station has 400 watt-hours, it should be able to power a device with a 1-watt output for about 400 hours
- Type of devices it can power
- Charging Connections
- Size and weight
- Durability and weather resistance
How to use a portable power station for camping
To use a portable power station, simply connect the devices you want to power to the power station. The power station will then start charging the devices.
Tips for using a portable power station
Here are a few tips for using a portable power station:
- Keep the power station charged. The power station will not be able to power your devices if it is not charged.
- Do not overload the power station. The power station has a maximum capacity of power that it can deliver. Keep your usage within the manufacturers guidelines. Especially if running things that produce heat!
- Use the power station safely. The power station is a powerful tool that can be dangerous if not used properly. Be sure to read the instructions carefully before using the power station and always keep electricity away from water.
Why is power rating important when talking about portable power stations?
Power rating is an important factor to consider when talking about portable power stations. This is because it dictates the maximum amount of power that can be supplied by the station. The higher the power rating, the more appliances and electronics that can be plugged in and used simultaneously. Furthermore, a larger power rating also indicates a longer run time for the power station. When choosing a portable power station, it is essential to evaluate your power requirements and match them with the power rating of the station to ensure that you have enough power to meet your needs. This is especially important for outdoor activities or emergency situations where access to reliable power is crucial. By considering the power rating, you can select the right portable power station that meets your requirements and provides efficient and reliable power.
Power and Heat.
As a rule the more heat the appliance generates the more power it will require to run. Ovens, kettles, toasters, hair dryers, hot plates etc will eat through your available battery way faster than electronic appliances that do not produce heat.
In conclusion, having a portable power station is a great idea for family camping in the UK. It allows you to keep your devices charged, power your camping adventures and provide emergency backup power if needed, and is an eco-friendly alternative to using a generator. There are many different types and sizes of power stations available, so you’re sure to find one that suits your needs. Make sure to pack one on your next camping trip, and you’ll be able to enjoy all the comforts of home while enjoying the great outdoors.